Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Posh Crunchie


Fortnum & Mason is my favourite shop. It’s not actually that useful, it doesn’t have much of what you really need and most of what it does have you can’t afford, but it is like a year round grotto of sheer perfection.

One day I will write a whole entry on the place and go into detail about how it is all the things that are really important; service, beauty, history, manners, quality and style. But today I’m just going to talk about their amazing ‘posh crunchie’.

They call it Toffee and wrap it up in a lovely carton with cellophane, but to everyone else it is clearly ‘Posh Crunchie’. 


I won the 4th Form general knowledge quiz in school and the prize was any item from the ‘Tuck Shop’; for me it was a very simple decision. “A Crunchie please Sir”.

Crunchie, the king of candy. Cinder toffee encased in chocolate. Such a simple but flawless concept, except that improving on flawless is what Fornum & Mason do; and so they have given us perfect Cinder Toffee encased in a gloriously refined Dark Chocolate wrapping for a quite ridiculously expensive price; but once you taste this glorious confection you know that it is worth every single penny of the cost.

I treat myself to just one helping per year, at Christmas, and it lasts until twelfth night. This year I’ve been good and so there is still one shape left for me to have with my mid morning espresso tomorrow. You can’t eat more than one piece at a time or the sugar rush will floor you and you’ll have to take to your bed as I did on Boxing Day.

Fortnum & Mason’s Chocolate covered Cinder Toffee is the epitome of the life affirming idea of putting chocolate and syrup together in a union of complete perfection. Try some, soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment